Friday, May 14, 2010

It is all worth it.

I have learned that there is nothing better than spending the evening with my family.



The first few days home with the children I mourned the loss of individual time I had with Adam. I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears while wondering if we were in over our heads. (I blame part of that on jet lag and the 'bug' I caught but none-the-less I mourned). This transition was the hardest thing I have ever done. While we were still in Taiwan we were all in Honeymoon phase. Life couldn't have been better. Fast forward to the 30 hours of travel time with no sleep and the honeymoon abruptly ended. We were exhausted, I didn't feel well for about a week, the children were trying to get used to their new surroundings and I couldn't just sit down on the couch with my husband and watch a movie. It was hard. It was very hard.

I had anxiety about Adam going back to work and leaving me at home with these two children who didn't speak my language and were crying and having frequent tantrums.



Fast forward a couple weeks of GREAT friends and family members helping me out and supporting us through this transition. Each day things became easier and slowly but surely life began to calm down and we started settling into our new normal.



Today I can't imagine life any differently. I love being a mom and I love my family of four.

Evenings playing in the backyard bring so much joy. Everyday I learn something new about the children and pick up on their likes and dislikes a little more.



Here are a few shots of a 'baseball game' happening right in our backyard.



Pierson still insists on his own style of baseball. Here he is using his golf club to hit a golf ball off the T-ball stand. This is a little boy who marches to his own drum.



Maylin's attention span is a little shorter than Pierson's. She gets bored with games and moves to the sidelines to bounce on her ball. (maybe she is going to be the cheerleader of the family?)



Daddy has proved to be quite the T-ball player. If you are on our street you better bring your A game. I am not exactly sure what Maylin is doing in this picture it sure looks like she is trying to bite Adam's tushie.




How fast can your little feet go. Thankfully Daddy is a good sport and runs slow enough to let Pierson tag him out every once in a while.




Having nights like this is what I live for now!



5 comments:

Courtney said...

What a fun night. I am sure things will get easier as everyone continues to adjust.

Amanda said...

You are so right - - - it is all worth it - - - - but I know I felt a loss of flexibility and freedom when I became a parent too, all 3 times! I am so glad that things are going so well and that everyone is adjusting! You and Adam are great parents!

Kathy said...

Jet lag, the 'bug', language barrier - we could tell it was very difficult. It is good to hear it from your side. I am so happy for you that it is mostly over and you can now enjoy your new normal. Your children really are such a joy, and such little individuals. I knew you and Adam would make great parents.

Laurie said...

Glad to hear things are getting "normal" around your place! :) Loved the backyard pictures- it's the simple stuff that makes life with kids SO fun!

Grandma Shultz said...

Praise God. Two precious children and two great parents. Traci, I knew you'd catch your stride and find the confident "parent" inside.
Adam was so supportive and did a great job while you had the "bug".
I'm so blessed to have two of my grandchildren close so I can help out and see them often. God is soooo good!
Love, LaoLao